Aug 3, 2012

We Don't Belong Here!

1 Peter 1:17-19

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each man’s work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.


We don't belong here!

You know, we can get caught up in all sorts of things in this world.  We get ourselves caught up in sports or politics....music, hobbies, our jobs, American Idol...  They are interesting distractions, but also lead to emptiness.  Peter says this world is not my home.

We may live here.  We may own a home here.  We may raise our children here.  We may taxes here.  But, hey, can I just tell ya something?  As the old song says, "This world is not my home... I'm just passing through.  My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue."


Hey!  Can I just tell ya something?  As Christians, WE DON'T BELONG HERE!  This world has different priorities.  This world has a different morality.  This world has a destination and I don't want to go there!  Do you?


"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives." - 2 Peter 3:10-11


Why would I want to invest myself so heavily in something that is not going to last?  Why would I want to build my family's ideals and priorities on the things of this world?


I love that Jesus didn't beat around the bush.  "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" - Mark 8:36


We have a responsibility to teach our families these principals:
  • This world is not our home
  • This world ultimately has nothing to offer us
  • The blood of Jesus is our ONLY Hope
This entry is taken from the sermon:  "Blinders, Blinkers, & Winkers".  Click the link to listen to the entire sermon.  This is the first sermon in a series by the same name.  The entire series is available here:  

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I DO NOT want to go there- I am not of this world and I store my riches in heaven. I needed this remindeder this morning. Adversity in this world, when we choose to stand against it at all cost, is overwhelming and exhausting sometimes- this week has been crazy but this was a good 'pick-me-up.' Be blessed, brother!

    ReplyDelete