Jan 24, 2019

OUR DAILY BREAD

A few years ago, I took an evening college Spanish class.  Our classroom was a blend of part-time and full-time students.  It was also a blend of younger 18-21 year olds and then some fully grown adult humans such as myself in the 25-50 age range.  I and the other part-timers had mostly all forked over the nearly $500 in tuition and book fees from our own pockets.  Most of the younger full-time students had their fees paid for them by their parents or through grants and scholarships.  

There was a stark contrast in perspective between those who had to pay their own way and those who did not.  There was not the same sense of urgency, ownership, or personal responsibility.  The professor would give an assignment with a deadline and specific formatting instructions including font size, margins, footnotes, etc.  For the most part, the part-timers followed the instructions as closely as possible, turned them in on time, and hoped for an A.  Generally speaking, of course, of those who had not paid their own way, several would act surprised to find out the paper was due when it was due.  And I watched as they handed in hand-written assignments on lined paper torn from a spiral notebook.  They did not appear to have the same sense of ownership or responsibility.  

There was a similar contrast in my home as a child.  I never considered where the money came from to buy the food which my mother prepared and put on the table.  I did not consider who was responsible for providing for our family.  I just showed up to fill up when mom said dinner was ready.  I simply handed the responsibility for provision over to my parents and did not give it another thought.  My dad's perspective about providing for our family was very different from my own.

When Jesus gave instructions about how to pray, one of things He said we should pray is "Give us today our daily bread."  Jesus was actually presenting a Biblical principal in that statement.  It would have been offensive for me to have doubted my father's ability to provide for our family.  When we doubt God's ability to provide for us (as He has promised to do), it is offensive.  We are to trust Him to meet our every need.

It is not so much a lifestyle of apathy or lack of urgency, ownership, or personal responsibility.  It is instead simply a lifestyle which is dependent and in submission to the Providence of God.  It is a lifestyle which says, "God, I trust You to do Your part.  I hold You to Your promise to meet my needs.  Father, give me today my daily bread."

It all boils down to a simple concept and one which is actually quite evident:  We need more focus on God and His promises and less focus on ourselves and our preferences.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, You have promised in scripture to take the ultimate responsibility for meeting all of my needs.  Help me to be in full surrender and submission to that promise of your Providence.  I trust You to do Your part.  Give me today my daily bread, to willingness to receive it, and the courage to take actual steps in the direction You lead.  Amen.


9 “Therefore, you should pray like this:  Our Father in heaven, your name be honored as holy.  10 Your kingdom come.  Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  11 Give us today our daily bread.  -- Matthew 6:9-11 CSB






No comments:

Post a Comment